Tuesday, January 13, 2009

January 13, 2009

I am choosing to live my life in a constant state of transition. I realize this as I open the trunk of my car to dig for oversized bottles of shampoo and conditioner. I shove my hands into piles of clothes, some folded but most just crumpled, that I threw in when I left Nashville for Sewanee. I find, during my incredible trunk odyssey, rambling notes and To Do lists, a half-full bottle of Diet Coke, and a handful of bobby pins, among other telling indicators of my own inability to commit to a situation of permanence.

There is a possibility that if I stop living out of my car I will stop trying to live in three places at the same time.

2 comments:

  1. Saw your note on Facebook and came right over. I used to love to read your Xanga. Hope I'm not intruding.

    So, this is exactly how I was feeling December 2007-November 2008. I was always, ALWAYS living out of my car, out of a suitcase, out of sorts. Since I got married that feeling has subsided, and I will say that your last sentence is not a possibility, it's a truth.

    -Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recent scientific studies indicate that after the age of 30 we are nearly incapable of making significant changes in our life or personality. So while transition doesn't have quite the romantic appeal it used to, treasure it while you're still biologically capable of it. In a decade we will be lodged in an eternal rut so I'll live my fractured, tortuously vacuous twenties to the fullest. Or at least sit around and read your blog.

    ReplyDelete